Who are Parent Carers?

Parent carers help their children (including grown up children) with day to day tasks they would not be able to do on their own. The child/adult could be ill, disabled, or have mental health or substance misuse problems.

A parent carer does not usually see themselves as a carer. Health and Social Care professionals are less likely to see them as carers, too.

A parent carer might have financial, emotional or physical worries due to their role. But, there is support and advice out there to help.

What help can I get?

Parent Carers of children under 18 have similar rights to other carers, but the way to get some of the services is different. They can apply for Carer’s Allowance or a GP Carer’s Break payment in the same way as the carers of adults.

They can also access any of Action for Carers’ support. There are some differences about Carer’s Assessment for Parent Carers and Parent Carer Break Grants.

All carers have a right to find out what help they need and what is out there to help. This should mean support and help for you as a carer, and recognition of your role in your child’s life.

Parent carers have a right to a separate Carer’s Assessment. This might be the done at the same time as your child’s assessment by Darlington Borough Council, if eligible, under the Children Act.

If you would like a carer’s assessment to identify your needs, you can complete this online or you can call Adult Social Care on 01325 406111.

More information about the support available for carers can be found can be found on Livingwell carer pages [external link]

Information and Useful Links

The Darlington SEND Local Offer [external link] has been developed and produced in partnership with Darlington Parent Carer forum, the Young Leaders Group and Darlington parents and carers. The Local Offer provides information for parents/carers about services for children with special educational needs or disabled.

Darlington Parent Carer Forum (CHYPS)

Darlington Parent Carer Forum (CHYPS) [external link] works in partnership with education, social care and health to influence and develop quality services for children and young people with SEN and disabilities in Darlington.

Durham County Carers Support Logo

Durham County Carers Support

Durham County Carers Support provides information, support and advice to carers across Durham and Darlington. Through them you can make contact with other carers and receive information about other sources of help.

If you would like to speak to someone, or make an enquiry, please call 0300 005 1213 or email admin@dccarers.org

Darlington Association on Disability Logo showing the letters D.A.D. breaking through a wall

Darlington Association on Disability (DAD)

Darlington Association on Disability (DAD) was established in 1986 as a voluntary and charitable organisation led by disabled people. It exists to help people with disabilities gain independence and choice, and supports disabled people and carers through the provision of services, support and information and by engage with issues locally and nationally.

If you would like to speak to someone at DAD, you can call 01325 489999 or text 0762 481 8780. You can also contact DAD by email, or use their online form to ask any questions.

DAD Young Leaders is a user led group promotes Participation and Leadership opportunities for disabled young people aged between 14-25 years through its Young Leaders Project.

The intention is that young disabled people gain skills and experience in order to influence DAD and other services.

For more information contact Chyps: 01325 489999 or email: chyps@darlingtondisability.org

Carers UK

The Carers UK Digital Resource for Carers provides a range of products and support resources including the Jointly App, e-Learning modules, factsheets, interactive guides, personalised support and information.

To create a new account, use the access code DGTL1931 or go to Livingwell or more information.